How to Choose Which Chicago Landscaper You Should Hire
How to Hire a Landscaper
Have you tried getting an estimate from a Chicago landscaper for your big outdoor plans yet? If you’re like most people, chances are that you plan on getting more than one estimate. As well, you’ll probably want to find out what at least a couple of different landscapers will propose for your space. But how do you decide which landscaper to hire?
Here’s our advice.
Start By Knowing the Hallmarks of Good Landscape Design Meetings
A good landscaping process starts with a landscaper who will:
- listen to your needs
- listen to your desires
- take your lifestyle into account
The landscaper should then assess your specific site conditions, take soil tests if necessary, and present you with several concept drawings that assist you in creating a vision and budget that works for you.
An environmentally conscious landscaper will also refrain from using invasive plant species and talk to you about rain barrels, rain gardens, native plants and green roofs. He or she will listen to your concerns about harmful chemicals and offer environmentally friendly alternatives, where possible.
I. Your Initial Meeting
A landscape designer should visit you on site to learn about your needs and the property. This allows the landscaper to intelligently discuss ideas and concepts and answer any questions you may have. They should take pictures of your property in order to provide you with a site-specific design. Note: If you are able to provide a copy of your property survey, that will help make the process go smoothly.
A good landscaper will take the information gained from the initial meeting and then present you with conceptual drawings for further discussion. After you approve one of the designs, the designer should begin the process of rendering a final landscape plan for your approval.
III. Design & Approval
After concept approval, you should receive a final rendering of the project. Ideally, this draft should contain detailed specifications on plant materials, hardscape and all costs specific to the installation.
CHOOSING A GOOD CHICAGO LANDSCAPER
In addition to reviewing the plans that each landscaper proposes, consider the following as you narrow your choice:
- Check customer reviews on business pages, such as Facebook, Google Business and Houzz
- Check your landscaper’s rating with the Better Business Bureau, if they have a membership.
- Look online or ask for the landscaper’s license and insurance information, length in business, certifications, education, and experience.
- Ask yourself how comfortable you feel with the landscaper. Does he or she return calls and inquiries promptly?
- Inquire as to whether the landscaper offers a guarantee. If they do, ensure that the guarantee is in the contract. Also, ask for a contact you can communicate with if there is an issue.
- Finally, don’t be shy about bringing up topics that might matter to you, such as sustainability or organic methods of care.
If you need an estimate, our team is highly experienced in all facets of landscape design. We’ll be happy to talk with you in person or over the phone to discuss how we can help you with your planning and outdoor overhaul. Don’t miss the best of the outdoor season!